Sunday, November 1, 2009

Eating to Live


The other day, Lauren called me to tell me about a diet plan that she was interested in the two of us trying. The plan is called 'Eat to Live', and it was created by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Essentially, as she explained it to me, I had to eat a pound of raw vegetables and a pound of cooked vegetables per day, drink water, and eat all the fruit I want to. No dairy, no bread, no sugary bad stuff.

As you may know, it's November now, and in the thick of football season for the college and pro leagues, and basketball is just heating up as well. But, I'm in love with Lauren, and she only suggests things that are good for us, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Last week, I did a version of it. It wasn't so bad. It was different to get used to, believe me, and Lauren wants us to do the 6 Week Plan, which I am definitely down for, giving some obvious consideration to Thanksgiving however.

I went to the UGA main library and checked the book out, but I figured that to be serious about my commitment to the diet, and more importantly the lifestyle attached to better eating, I should purchase the book instead.

I traveled to the Brookwood Shopping Center's Borders, and picked up a paperback copy. I started reading it late last night, while dealing with quasi-insomnia induced by P&D (Public Administration and Democracy) reading.

Now, last week I made some squash with my brand new pots and pans from the Kohl's on Epps Bridge Rd. This week, I've just visited Kroger, and we're throwing some variation into the mix, and I'll update you as to my progress.

Last week I was more or less figuring things out, so my six weeks starts today; oatmeal with cinnamon, salad with cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms and celery, and a dinner of black beans, onions and tomatoes tonight while watching Mad Men and hopefully while watching the Yanks win Game 4.

Why am I doing this? Well there are several reasons, but as I mentioned before, Lauren only suggests things for us that are good for us. So, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by changing what and how I eat.

As the week goes on, I'll update you with my menu.

This blog is less about Athens, and more about healthy living in Athens. In the future on this sixty days, I will definitely visit the Farmers Market in Bishop Park here in Athens for my fruits and vegetables, organically grown by local area farmers.

Again, why am I doing this? I'm doing this for me, for my heart, and I'm doing this to support Lauren, and as I mentioned repeatedly before, she only suggests things that are good for us, and eating to live is definitely something that I feel will be good for us.

My only question is...will we have to give up Georgia Brown's brunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment