Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Eating to Live: Day 2 Lunch at Bolton Dining Commons

To test my new found resilience in terms of the Eat to Live diet, I figured I'd use a control, the Bolton Dining Commons at the University of Georgia.

Bolton has every food imaginable; hamburger grill, hot dog grill, all day breakfast grill, entree line, vegetarian line, extensive salad bar, dessert bar, etc.

Tuesday was bbq chicken sandwich day. So...you know that was tough. Now, usually when I go to Bolton, which looks like 'The Max' from 'Saved by the Bell', I usually start off with a bacon cheddar burger, some fries, and a grilled cheese sandwich. Eventually I get a nice salad with all the trimmings, and a plate of wings of varying flavors. I usually top it all off with some soft serve fat free vanilla yogurt and chocolate chips. Oh, and I usually have sweet tea and water to drink.

But now, I'm Eating to Live. So, I headed over to the area right next to my beloved grilled cheese sandwiches, was the brown rice and pinto beans. It had to be nothing other than fate, because I'd planned on having brown rice for dinner that night!

I got a fresh plate, filled it with rice on one half and pinto beans on the other. Then I walked to the salad line, and filled a fresh bowl with spinach and cucumbers. I went back to the place where I got my beans and rice, and garnished my salad with some cooked mushrooms and onions. I got two ice waters and met Jonathan at a table that we found.

Usually I douse my salads with extensive amounts of dressing, but not today. I simply used pepper. To be honest, the lunch was good, but I wasn't full yet. I went back, and got a second plate of brown rice and beans, some steamed broccoli, and later for dessert, I had some strawberries and bananas.

Was it different? Sure. Was I full? Yes. It worked, and I felt great after, not bloated or stuffed like when I normally eat there.

Why am I doing this? I'm doing it for me and my health, and I'm doing this because Lauren suggested this for us, and she only suggests things for us that are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment