Monday, August 17, 2009

The Weekend and Other Thoughts


On Saturday, I helped my friends Spence, Allison, Neil and Toy with their company, Black Tie BBQ. They were selling their wonderfully scrumptious food at the Decatur BBQ and Blues Festival in the hip enclave of East Lake/Oakhurst.

Back in college, I lived in this neighborhood, right up the street on Spence Avenue. If I ever live in Atlanta again, I will probably live over there. I love the vibe of the neighborhood; it's a little 'come as you are' mixed with liberal sensibilities but still with a serious work ethic and a genuine sense of community.

Anyway, Black Tie BBQ had a big day, and despite the vendors who have been in business longer, Black Tie held its own serving up the skewered shrimp (the only retailer at the event with BBQ seafood), skewered chicken, brats and corn on the cob...all hot off the grill.

We were out there all day, and despite the weather reports for rain, the sky didn't really open up until the very end of the night; which still didn't stop the crowds, nor did it stop me from going out in the rain and getting some more brats. All in all, Black Tie BBQ won the day and the event.

On Sunday, I spent the day with my friends JC and Will. Both are classmates of mine from college, and our topics of discussion were: golf (Tiger almost pulled it out), pro football, Marion Barry (wonderful documentary on HBO), the Sopranos, and our personal attempts at world domination.

Will is going to dominate the world through Agri-Science in South Georgia (laugh if you want to, but please read up on this burgeoning field). JC through legal means and big deals and me through revolutionizing Higher Education for ALL students. And to top off the great day, JC and I hit up JR Crickets on Cascade for wings and things and I watched True Blood, Mad Men and Entourage; definitely a full day.

I have a beef with Athens however that I must get off of my chest. At the bookstore here at UGA, there is a working Clinique counter, but nowhere in town can I buy Kiehl's. This makes no sense. Sure, I can buy it online and get it in a few days, and normally with free shipping, but the same buyer's assurance is lacking when not done from an actual Kiehl's store like the one at Lenox in Atlanta! It's annoying to say the least! Get it together Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment